Sunday, February 03, 2013

Pen & Ink, Wash & Gouache

My drawing tools - fountain pens and watercolor brushes

My granddaughter, Jilli - the start with walnut ink

..with the addition of white gouache

Jillian - walnut ink with brush & pen, heightened with white
I love brown ink drawings.  It is a classic way to draw, concentrating of light and value relationships.  The brown ink blends nicely and transitions well, without abrupt edges.  

I recently drew this little study of my granddaughter, Jillian, using walnut ink with white gouache.  Now, I try to keep my drawing "kit" handy, so when the opportunity to draw presents itself, I am ready.

In the top photo, you can see my fountain pens and my watercolor brushes.  The brushes are both sables.  The one taped together is an old Windsor & Newton, and the other is a Charles Reid, which comes to a very sharp point like a rigger.  In addition to the fountain pens, I have 2 dip pens.

No comments: