Thursday, June 21, 2007

More Children

Every artist wants to do something really good...some big "important" piece...something to wow the crowds. But, in truth, some of our best paintings are the ones closest to our hearts. They may be small, but they will always make us smile. The struggle to paint a self-portrait while holding a baby is actually quite a challenge, but to actually do it....now, that is an accomplishment! This little painting will always rank among my all-time favorites. The baby is my youngest daughter, Annie.
"Oh, you're left-handed," someone remarked when they saw this painting. I was very puzzled for a moment. Then, I realized that because I work from life, I had painted this while looking in a mirror.

1 comment:

Gumbo Lily said...

I can see why this painting is close to your heart. I really like it too. I remember so many, many days doing tasks with "Babe on Hip."
~Jody (sent by Heather)