Friday, September 10, 2010

Prismatic Palette Painters



I have an interesting painting lineage. I studied with Frank Mason at the Art Students League and in his outdoor landscape painting workshops in Vermont. In Frank's class, we mixed a Prismatic Palette for landscape painting. The bottom picture of me (1982) is from one of Frank Mason's landscape workshops, which he held every year in Stowe, Vermont for the whole month of June. Frank Mason learned this from his teacher, Frank Vincent Dumond (top photo), and I continue to use it and teach it in my classes.

4 comments:

Judy P. said...

Hello Karen-this is my first time commenting; I really enjoy your blog, and your photos of small children running around while painting in your studio seem like a perfect balance of life!
I ache that I'm too far away in MN to take your workshops, or your weekly still life classes. The class descriptions of the link between still life and landscape painting hit just the right note. I wish I lived closer!

Karen Winslow said...

Thank you, Judy! I am glad that you like my blog, and I wish I was a little more consistent with posting on a regular basis. The kids running around in my studio these days are my grandchildren, and they are wonderful! Yes, balancing family and painting has a great influence on how and what I paint.

If you ever get a chance to come out this way, please stop by for a studio visit! :D

jeff said...

Hi Karen,
That's my painting two easels in front of you. I'm looking at it now and it has a crit done by Frank.

Karen Winslow said...

Thanks, Jeff. I had this photo for years, and I couldn't remember whether it was 1982 or 1984 until you recognized your easel and painting. :)

Frank was a very generous teacher, always taking the time to show us "why" and "how" artistic principles worked. Following him around from easel to easel, watching him transform our flat attempts was magic.