Thursday, October 09, 2008

First Workshop

This past weekend, I taught my first workshop in the studio.  I limit my classes to 8 students, and I had 7 in this class.  We all fit in pretty well.  Six still lifes were set up around the room, so the students are facing in various directions.  Squinting is a big part of learning to simplify and mass.  The student on the left is squinting and using her brush to measure.  A workshop format is very intense, and we are using comparative relationships to gage space and value.  All painting is from life and done in alla prima, or one shot.  So, we are drawing and painting simultaneously.

2 comments:

jeff said...

Great, I'm happy your workshop is almost full.

I already remarked how great the studio looks, I'll say it again!

Jack's still life table is a great idea.

Heather L. said...

I'm so excited to see pictures! What a dream come true for you!!! i hope you have lots of wonderful classes. Loved the sign over the door too.