Monday, February 23, 2009

Mommy Paints very fast


I took a picture of my palette before I started the painting.  It is basically a cadmium palette with grayscale.  I mixed some "flesh" tones as well.  The palette is a 12"x16" piece of glass that is painted with a mid-tone gray on the bottom.

After about 2.5 hours of work, Phineus woke up, Ryann had to return to her kids, and the painting session was over.  Given a longer amount of time, I am sure I would have developed the painting differently.  But, not knowing whether or when I could get the model again, dictates my methods.  Learning to work with time constraints gives me an incentive to work quickly, deciding what is essential and what is not.  Painting is a journey.  I have discovered, along the way, that I must stay true to my own temperament, and painting fast is how I paint.

4 comments:

Heather L. said...

I just love seeing all your paintings and Priscilla doing hers!!! What fun! I wish we were closer.

Diana K Gibson said...

Karen! Fast painter you are! Love it love it love it! There is no better way to paint than to fly with those brushes! I so want to come up to see you this summer. I would love to paint with you. :) Trying to get my hubby to go along with my plan teheheehee :)

jeff said...

Hey Karen, the portrait is looking great.

Karen Winslow said...

Hi Diana, Yes, please come up and paint with me! It would be great! The landscape around my area is very inspiring, and the studio has wonderful north light!