Sunday, May 08, 2011

Painting Kids from Life....going back a few years





Priscilla, now 26 years old, probably posed for me more than any of my other children. She still poses on occasion. All of these were painted in the studio under natural north light, with the exception of the bottom portrait which was painted in my old storefront studio (see very first post in 2007).

The first painting is a tiny oil on paper that I painted while Priscilla sat in a baby swing. When I paint on paper, Jack frames them like a watercolor...with a mat and under glass.

All of these studies were done in one sitting. For me, painting in this fashion (alla prima) is the best way to work when time is an issue. Time is always an issue if you are painting children from life. :)

2 comments:

Judy P. said...

The immediacy of alla prima has such a great energy in it, especially seen in these vibrant portraits. I have to learn to paint faster, so I can complete work in the time I reserve in my day. I suppose speed is of the essence in painting kids!

Painting Tips and Tricks said...

These are great paintings of priscilla, from a child to a teen portrait painting! Good job!