Tuesday, February 11, 2014

More Plein Air Events



At the end of September and beginning of October,  2013, I participated in one more Plein Air Event.  This one was held in Stowe, VT, and it was hosted by Vermont Fine Art Gallery.  I chose to paint along Stowe's beautiful bike path that runs from behind the church on Main St. and meanders along the brook for about 5.5 miles  up the mountain.  It is a great path for biking and walking.  

I did a couple of oils and 3 watercolor/gouache combinations.  I thought you might enjoy seeing my equipment.  In the top picture, you can see my folding camp stool (which is very compact and folds completely flat), my watercolors, collapsible water cup, paper towels, enamel tray, brushes, and painting board.  Normally, I tape 2 pieces of paper to both sides, which gives me plenty of options and saves time.  Everything fits into a backpack or bag for ease of transport.  


The Stowe Bike Path, or recreational path, attracts many visitors, and I had a lot of folks stopping by to see what I was doing.  I asked one of them to take some pictures of me with my ipod.  Here I am working on my first study in watercolor/gouache.  I had started 2 oil paintings prior to this, so this was my 3rd painting for the day.  The second picture shows the other painting I did, which was further up the path.

This one is my last plein air study for the event, and it is painted in watercolor and gouache, as well.  This view of the church is an iconic view of Stowe, and I painted it from from a parking lot along Route 108 at the beginning of October.  The fall foliage was at its peak.  

These 3 little watercolors went into the gallery show, and all of them sold....which made me pretty happy.  The event was new for Stowe, and it was just to call attention to the art of plein air painting, I think.   It came with some nice perks, such as gift certificates for art supplies and framing, something I always need!  

No comments: