Sunday, November 28, 2010

Open Figure/Portrait Sessions 2011



Trying to find the right schedule for my Open Figure/Portrait Sessions has been difficult. I started by hosting a 3 hour session every Saturday with a long pose so that artists work alla prima. I changed it to 4, then 5 hours, twice a month (instead of weekly). Attendance fluctuated greatly, which was very frustrating.

For 2011, I am going back to my original idea...a 3 hour long pose session once a week. The difference will be the day. Instead of Saturday, I am switching this to Wednesdays from noon to 3pm. Again, this is not a class, so artists of all abilities are welcome to come and draw or paint from the model. The drop-in fee will be $10. However, for $50. , paid in advance, the artists can come for 6 session, which will give them one free session. I think that this will be a great idea, and I am hoping that the new day will help.

In addition to the Long Pose Session, I am adding a Short Pose Session, which is more suitable for drawing. The Short Pose Session will be on Thursday evenings from 6pm-8:30pm. The model will take a variety of changing poses, from 1 minute gestures to 20 minute studies. The drop-in fee will be $8., but artists paying $40. in advance can come for 6 sessions, which again gives them one free session.

If there is enough interest, I will add an evening Long Pose Session. Let me know what you think of these changes.

4 comments:

Elizabeth Torak said...

I wish I lived closer!!!!!

Karen Winslow said...

Thanks, Elizabeth!! I wish you lived closer, too!!

tom trevor said...

That's the way to go. Can we start in Dec please. I'm up in Vt for a month. I really like the short pose idea. That's the way to learn, but there aren't many short pose opportunities down here. I'll just have to make my own I guess.
Also it is good to just go with what schedule works for you, can't please everyone. but if I was in VT I would love this schedule.If you want more comments on this page you have to make it easier for people to sign in.

José Carrilho (Go Detail) said...

Hi Karen,

I quite like the nude on top.
Especially because of its light (value work) and the foreshortened perspective of her legs, which is something that I really like.
As a matter of fact, one of my favourite paintings is the Christ by Adrea Mantegna.

Best regards,

José