Saturday, November 13, 2010

Open Session 11/13/10




Today's was a beautiful, sunny day in Vermont with temperatures in the 50s, which is rare for this time of year. So, some of the regular painters decided to enjoy the outdoors, and only a few of us painted the model. Lori posed for 4.5 hours. I thought you might enjoy my painting sequence. I am painting on one of the panels Jack made for me for my birthday. He makes his own gesso, and this gesso was made with Sarti Chalk, which is a pale yellow (very beautiful). It has an interesting and somewhat absorbent surface.

As usual, I start out very loosely and work from the general shapes to the more specific details. I use mostly large/medium round and filbert bristle brushes, but as I tighten up my drawing (getting more specific), I will use smaller, softer sables or mixed synthetic brushes. The final result for the day is a 12"x16" study.

2 comments:

Judy P. said...

Thanks for the breakdown- I really like how loose and zesty your brushstrokes are, even in the beginning. The portrait is lovely- you captured the great hair and personality!

Karen Winslow said...

Thank you, Judy!